Internet marketing today offers many methods to develop link popularity by using step-by-step guidance to attracting inbound links through using websites and tools such as Google Site Maps.
Having Google sitemaps set up for your websites can be very beneficial in getting more traffic from Google, because Google sitemaps help Google know about all your web pages and can, therefore, help all your web pages from all your sites get fully indexed in Google, which of course increases your chances of getting more Google traffic. It’s also a very useful tool for understanding better exactly what’s happening with your site regarding Google.
So, how exactly do you set up Google site maps for your website? I’m going to talk you through a detailed example here.
Follow these steps:
1. First of all, go to the Google Sietmaps website. And you need a Google account, a free Google account to use the sitemaps functionality. If you don’t have an existing account, you can easily set one up.
2. Log into Google Sitemaps with your own Google account.
3. So let’s start with adding sites. All you have to do is click on the add a site icon in the middle of the page to add your website address.
4. Next, you need to verify ownership of the site to make sure that this site genuinely belongs to you. So what you need to do is after the website address appears on the page is click on “try our new meta tag verification method.”
5. Okay, as you will more than likely see, the current verification status is NOT VERIFIED. So scroll down…and there are two ways you can verify your site: using the meta tag method, or upload a specific HTML file.
6. Using the meta tag method in this instance. If you have any problems with this there are full instructions on the page. Essentially, take the line of HTML code and add it in the head section of your website’s index page.
7. Selected it, right click and copy, and though to your ftp software. And on the right side will be listed your website, that is the site you are adding to Google Sitemaps. And what you want to look for is the index page. In most cases it will be listed as index.html. Download that, and open this, the index page, in Notepad so you can make the change.
8. Open up Notepad and there’s the index page on the desktop, so drag the HTML code and paste it into the head section, as Google instructed. So edit…paste. And there it is.
9. Scroll back and there’s the meta tag specifically for verifying this page.
Google will give higher link popularity to websites that have site maps. The more popular your website is on Google, which is the top search engine most people use, you will stand a better chance of having your site come up higher on search results that your target market is conducted. The higher your site becomes on the results you also stand a better chance of having people link to your site which will attract more inbound links for you.
If you are out to attract prospective customers and develop your online presence and exposure, you owe it to yourself and the financial future of your business to learn everything you can about Internet marketing.